Solar thermal hot water heating generates domestic hot water in a renewable way. Solar panels are fitted to your roof and the fluid inside them is heated by the heat from the sun. The heated fluid in the collectors is then sent through your homes hot water cylinder. A boiler or immersion heater then increases the heat of the water (if necessary) which your home uses as normal.
Solar Water Heating Benefits
- Reduced heating bills: sunlight is free, so once you have paid for the installation your ongoing utility bills should be less.
- Hot water throughout the year: although obviously the system produces less energy in the winter.
- Solar thermal owners should be eligible to apply for Renewable Heat Premium Payments
- Solar water heating can be installed relatively cheaply and with little adaption to your existing building in comparison to some other microgeneration technologies
- Cut your carbon footprint: solar hot water is a green, renewable heating system and can reduce your carbon dioxide emissions
- Long term savings - most panels come with a guarantee lasting many years are require little maintenance.
An outline of a domestic thermal water heating system
More information from the government about solar thermal water heating can be found at the Department of Energy and Climate Change here.
Feel free to contact us with any questions you have about Solar Thermal Energy.
- Solar Doctor Service - We also service, repair and troubleshoot existing solar thermal systems.
How a solar thermal installation can fit into your homes hot water system